Workshop from Selters
Built: circa 1800
Reassembled: 1981 to 1983
This small timber-frame building from the town of Selters on the river Lahn was built in around 1800. Originally used as a stable or workshop, it was adapted to serve as a farrier’s forge in the Open Air Museum.
Farriers specialise in forging horseshoes and nails for draught animals, for example, horses, donkeys and mules. Cattle, too, used to be employed as working animals and likewise had to be shod. The farrier also treated injuries to and diseases of the hooves.